IEC 60664-1 is one of the main basic safety publications in the field of low voltage equipment up to AC 1000 V and DC 1500 V. During this year 2020 a new version will be published by the IEC with some slide changes.
The new edition includes the following changes with respect to the previous edition:
- update of the Scope, Clauses 2 and 3,
- addition of 1 500 V DC into tables,
- new structure for Clauses 4 and 5,
- addition of Annex G with a flowchart for clearances,
- addition of Annex H with a flowchart for creepage distances,
- update of distances altitude correction in a new Table
IEC 60664-1 deals with insulation coordination for equipment having a rated voltage up to AC 1000 V or DC 1500 V connected to low-voltage supply systems and applies to frequencies up to 30 kHz and to equipment for use up to 2 000 m above sea level.
It provides requirements for technical committees to determine clearances, creepage distances and criteria for solid insulation. It includes methods of electrical testing with respect to insulation coordination.
For further information the application guide IEC 60664-2-1 provides an overview relating to insulation coordination and aims to highlight the use and understanding of the IEC 60664 series. It covers general information for the dimensioning of clearances, creepage distances and solid insulation for equipment. IEC 60664-1 is one part of the IEC 60664 series.